Friday, August 28, 2009

Saints and Symbols

_
What do you think of the various symbols/paintings/pictures of a religious nature that many people put up around their house? In my new house that I’m renting, my landlords had left many of their decorations and furnishings for me to use as I’d like, and as I already had quite a bit of my own to install, I was taking down some of their things. Every single picture and fixture they had, had something to do with Christianity (in some form, some Catholic, some Lutheran, some more Charismatic, etc...). As I took them down, I almost felt bad, as though I was secular compared to them. Not that I don't have any reference to my faith around the house, I do, just not as predominantly as they have it.

They say that when you walk into a Christian house, you should know instinctively that Christ governs there. But then this occurred to me: just because a house is filled with the symbols of Christianity, that doesn't mean that Christ necessarily governs there, does it? I'm not saying that Christ does not govern in my landlords’ home, but simply that you can't judge a person's salvation or spiritual maturity by the symbols they have around their house. Physical symbols are not a sufficient indicator of a person's walk with God. In many respects, I think those things can become idols, and often give the person a false sense of security (i.e. - they believe the more symbols of Christianity they have around their house, the stronger Christian they are). Will a strong Christian have his/her house permeated by those religious fixtures? They may, or they may not. I suppose my point is, you should know when Christ rules in a home not by the symbols within the home, but by the person who occupies it. That person should clearly exemplify Christ-likeness, and proclaim Christ through his/her actions. "You will know them by their fruits," Christ said, and that may come in the form of exemplifying godly order, and the lifestyle which God desires us to live, carrying out His commands in Scripture, not necessarily the display of physical Christian symbols (this is a trap which many Catholics especially have fallen into - not all, but many).

It was mentioned to me that the symbols and scripture decorations often are intended to encourage or remind the occupant, or to help them memorize a certain passage. I will grant you, when used for this purpose, it is a great help, and I’m not speaking of those kinds of things. I am speaking of when those symbols become a stamp of status to a person, with the intention of showing false piety to visitors in the home. In many regards, it’s similar to the prayer of the Pharisee in Luke 18:10-14, only in a physical form. It’s a trap easily fallen into, I will admit I’ve been guilty of it at times myself. This is not to say we should be afraid to use those symbols and fixtures to pronounce the Word of God, not in the least! We just have to be careful that our hearts are in the right place, and that we do everything for the glory of God alone!
_

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to get your feedback!