Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The Power of God

_
Is God really omniscient, omnipresent, and omnipotent? For many people like myself, the answer may seem obvious: of course He is! But do we know why we believe that?

There’s been a very unfortunate turn, it seems, in recent years, towards a dangerous new theological idea: “open theism”. I recently encountered this theology in a personal way, unfortunately, and I wanted to bring out some Scriptures which I believe refute this near-heretical concept.

But first, a definition. Open theism is essentially the idea that God does not know everything we’re going to do because it has not happened yet, and that He leaves either some or all of our life up to us, without controlling it. On the surface, this seems to jib with the Arminian concept of “free will”, at least in my mind it does. But it goes beyond that, I believe. It suggests that God takes a “hands-off” approach to some areas of our life, and thereby relinquishes control of it Himself, and (this is my conclusion) therefore loses His omnipotence.

Obviously, from our perspective we have responsibilities to live our lives the way God told us to, to accept Him and follow Him. But that is not in contradiction to the idea of God having foreknowledge, and control, over every aspect of our lives and our destinies. Saying we have control (from God's perspective) is saying that we have a part in effecting our salvation. Did I, and do I, make the conscious decision to follow Christ? Certainly! But as God inhabits all of eternity, and has a plan for me, from His perspective He called me and drew me to Him, and thus it was not of my own doing.

There are several Scriptures that are raised by those in favor of open theism: Jeremiah 19:5, 32:35, Luke 11:5-13, and 18:1-8. The verses in Jeremiah are places where God is speaking to the disobedient Israelites, and He makes the statement (as translated by the King James and similarly in several other translations), “neither came it into My mind”. I looked up the definition of the Hebrew word interpreted in most translations as "My mind" in both of those verses. They are the same word, defined by Strong as follows: "the heart; also used (figuratively) very widely for the feelings, the will and even the intellect; likewise for the centre of anything: - + care for, comfortably, consent, X considered, courag [-eous], friend [-ly], ([broken-], [hard-], [merry-], [stiff-], [stout-], double) heart ([-ed]), X heed, X I, kindly, midst, mind (-ed), X regard ([-ed)], X themselves, X unawares, understanding, X well, willingly, wisdom." To me, I think a better way of stating that phrase, if you're going to use "mind" at all, is "that's not what I had in mind for you!" I.e., that's not what God desired, which doesn't mean He didn't know, and have fit in His plan, that they would do otherwise.

Secondly, the verses in Luke are Jesus’ parables on prayer – the neighbor who knocks persistently in the night asking for bread, and the unjust judge who relented to the widow’s pleas. Both of these speak of persistence in prayer, rightly so. God told us to be persistent, but why? I believe this is another matter of perspective: ours or Gods. We're told to pray without ceasing, making our requests to God fervently and persistently. But God's plan is already in place, and we pray simply because He told us to. In our own eyes, things change when we pray. But in God's eyes, He had in mind all along to allow His Glory to be shown when we are obedient to Him.

Another charge brought to the table by the open theists is that since God has no uncleanness in Him, He cannot be the cause of anything evil, and therefore He cannot be in control over the evil things that happen. My response is that just because God allows something does not mean He's the cause of it. There is no evil in God, quite true. But He does work all things together for good for those who love Him and who are called according to His purpose.

Below are several Scriptures which I believe provide ample support for God’s omniscience, omnipresence, and therefore omnipotence.

Eph 1:11 In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will:


Pro 16:9 A man's heart deviseth his way: but the LORD directeth his steps.


Psa 37:5 Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass.

1Jn 3:20 For if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and knoweth all things.

Isa 57:15 For thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, whose name is Holy; I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones.

There are several others that I will not quote here, but below are the references:

Proverbs 3:5-6
Matt 6:25-34
Job 38
Jeremiah 29:11
Romans 8:28-31

As Christians, we must be teachable. But we also must be wary of doctrines which degrade the incredible and beautiful nature of God. I thank the Lord that He is in control of every minute, and every aspect, of my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to get your feedback!